Hey lovelies! It’s July! Can you believe it!? We’re already half way through 2012! Anyways, so on to the good stuff…the Take Better Care of my Hair challenge is BACK!!!! Yep TBCH is back in full effect. This time I’ve decided to keep it in 3 month increments, that makes it easier for everyone to participate. But something that will definitely help me out and you out, is to comment and post in the Forum that will be created specifically for the challenge.
So what do you have to do? It’s simple, first and foremost, health is the main goal of the challenge, and if you’re into length and such that’s fine too. I want everyone being pro-active about this challenge, so you’ll need to document your progress, share pictures or even videos if you so choose and tag me to them so I can see/watch. There will be no slacking off on this challenge on my end, I’m being serious about taking real good care of my hair not only externally but internally too ;)
So the rules?
- Deep condition at least once per week, no exceptions! (however you normally get it done, do it! a suggestion is to use a conditioner that provides ample moisture, also make sure to keep check of your protein!! Deep condition a minimum of 30 minutes to get the best benefits) also take a look at how I deep condition for maximum results
- Say yes to protective styling (i.e. twists, cornrows (not tightly done), plaits, braids (not tightly done and preferably not micros), puffs/buns – try to limit the puffs as this can damage your edges over time)
- Dust the ends of your hair when it is needed and do NOT let the damage go on. (you see a split or single strand knot? snip it off!!)
- Always keep hair moisturized by use of whatever moisturizer you have that works for your hair (you can follow the LOC method or moisture tips or see this post on sealing)
- If you have thinning edges or notice breakage in areas..take action, start caring for them and getting them back, using things like castor oil, peppermint oil, etc
- Give your scalp a massage often!- 15 minutes a day is good
- Try to avoid the heat if you can…this is not mandatory but if possible please avoid the heat. ONLY 1 heat pass for each segment!!
- Exercise and eat healthy- run, brisk walk for 30 minutes a day, drink a lot of water and get adequate sleep!
- Be patient and dedicate actual time to caring for your hair and your health!!
- And lastly- laugh it up often- keep stress levels at bay by surrounding yourself in joy. You’ll be surprised how much more this affects.
- There are 3 main check in dates (August 2nd, September 2nd and October 2nd)
Simple huh? As we all should know by now the simpler you keep it, the better it grows! ;) Keep it simple sisters! Now if you’re in the challenge with me comment below and let me know. The forum is going to open up after I see a good amount of people who’ve chimed in that they are participating. Please spread the word, and I look forward to getting started.
How do we stay encouraged? Get tips? etc
Well, my blog is definitely going to be posting up all the information possible on natural hair care tips, ideas, styles, dos and dont’s and as well check ins on the progress. I’ll also each week do a featured post on something beneficial to those in the challenge.
Commitments and Progress Reports
As I mentioned before, I welcome all forms of reports. Be it videos, pictures (tumblr/instagram/twitter/facebook), written journal. I just want you to keep track of what it is you’re doing and how it’s working, and of-course how your hair is transforming along the way.
You can check in anytime, but the 3 mandatory check ins are: August 2, September 2 and the final of this segment October 2!!
And to keep you committed and remind you of your commitment, here’s a pledge that’s usually helpful when I do this challenge:
Copy and Paste this as your entries below: (indicate segments you’ll join please)
I___________ will gladly accept this challenge, and plan to commit to the full segment (July to September 2012). I expect as a result of sticking to the challenge to see my hair_____________ .
I Sasha-Shae will gladly accept this challenge, and plan to commit to the full segment (July to September 2012). I expect as a result of sticking to the challenge, to see my hair thrive in ways it hasn’t before. Gain more body, health, length and strength.
Goals: no split ends, no dryness, even coils through out, more body, re-grow any parts of my edges or any area I see any breakage or thinning, maintain moist and supple hair at all times, and have healthier hair overall and become physically fit and stress free and much more healthier dietary wise!
Now let’s get on to Taking Better Care of My Hair!!
~Hope you enjoy the rest of your day lovely! Till next time stay lovely and afroniquely you!